Now you can make your favorite Buffalo Chicken Dip even easier by using the Crockpot! Flavored with ranch seasoning, a blend of cheeses, sour cream, shredded chicken, and spicy Franks Red Hot Sauce, this dip comes together in minutes and is slow cooked until creamy and bubbly.
Whether you're bringing this party dip to a potluck or serving it as an appetizer for the big game, this slow cooked buffalo chicken dip is sure to be a hit!
If you love this recipe, check out some other easy and delicious party appetizers like Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers, Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken (perfect for nachos!), and the crispiest Chili Cheese Tater Tot Nachos.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip In The Crockpot
This recipe makes 3 ½ cups of dip (about 8 servings), so you'll need a 2-4 quart slow cooker. If you have a larger Crockpot or need a lot of dip for a crowd, this recipe can be doubled easily. Full recipe instructions are on the recipe card.
- Start by adding shredded chicken to the Crockpot.
- Add in cubed cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning, and Frank's Hot Sauce.
- Give the mixture a light stir, just to blend the ingredients slightly. No need to fully mix, we'll give the dip a stir as it cooks
- Pop on the lid of the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-2 ½ hours, stirring once after 1 hour.
- The dip is done when the cheeses have melted, the dip is bubbling around the edges and looks super creamy.
- After cooking, give the dip a taste and add more ranch powder or extra hot sauce if desired.
- Allow the dip to sit on the "keep warm" setting until cool enough to eat. The dip will thicken as it cools. Garnish with scallions and additional shredded cheddar if desired.
Serve with fresh veggies like celery, carrots and even broccoli. For crunchy, serve with tortilla chips, toast (like my garlic crostini), pretzels or pita chips.
What makes buffalo chicken dip greasy?
- Too much fat will make the dip greasy--either from using a fattier cut of chicken like thighs or by adding too much shredded cheese.
- If you use the "wing sauce" variety of Frank's Hot Sauce, that may lead to excess grease since it contains added canola oil.
- Overcooking the dip will cause it to separate, making the grease come to the top.
Some grease will pool during the cooking process and as it sits, but just give it a good stir before serving and it'll be perfect! You can also substitute low fat cream cheese and ranch dressing or sour cream to make it less greasy.
Will more cream cheese make my dip less runny?
Not necessarily. The cream cheese will melt during the cooking process and therefore continue to keep your buffalo chicken dip runny and the extra fat may make it a little greasier.
To make the dip less runny, give it a minute to cool, it will thicken as it sits. If your dip is still too runny after cooling for a few minutes, add more shredded chicken. You can also try cutting back on the sour cream and hot sauce.
How long can you store homemade buffalo chicken dip?
This dip is best if consumed within 5 days of making it.
Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip?
Yes! Leftover buffalo chicken dip can be frozen for up to a month. Keep the dip stored in an airtight and freezer safe container in the freezer until ready to use.
The night before serving, allow the dip to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once the dip is thawed completely, heat the dip in the microwave until warmed through, or return to the crockpot to reheat on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours or on low for 4 hours, stirring halfway through warming.
Serve and enjoy!
Ingredient swaps and recipe variations
- Swap the sour cream and ranch powder with classic ranch dressing. Start with ½ cup of premade dressing and add more to taste after the dip has cooked.
- Want your dip a little less spicy? Reduce the Frank's hot sauce to ½ cup. You can always add more hot sauce after the dip is done cooking! Taste and adjust to your personal preference.
- Add in crumbled bleu cheese after cooking.
- Mix in the white parts of two scallions before cooking.
- Reduce the calories by swapping the sour cream with Greek yogurt, replace the cream cheese with small curd cottage cheese, and reduce the cheddar cheese to ½ a cup.
- 2 cups of shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 3 tablespoons of powdered ranch seasoning mix
- ¾ cup of Frank's Red Hot Sauce*
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl of the Crockpot. Give the ingredients a light stir to coat in the hot sauce. It won't be smooth and that's ok!
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-2 ½ hours or on low for 4-5 hours, until the mixture is melted and bubbling around the edges. Stir halfway through the cooking process.
- Once all the ingredients are melted, give the dip a stir to make sure everything is well combined. Give the dip a taste and add more hot sauce or ranch seasoning if desired.
- Turn off the heat and allow the buffalo chicken dip to rest until cool enough to eat. The dip will thicken as it cools.
- Serve with celery sticks, tortilla chips, or pita chips.
*You can reduce the hot sauce to ½ cup for a more mild dip or increase the sauce to 1 cup if you like it really spicy. Give the dip a taste after cooking and adjust the spice level.
** Use the original Franks Hot Sauce, not the Wing Sauce.
***For this small batch recipe, you'll need a 2-4 quart slow cooker. This recipe can be doubled for a large crowd or a bigger Crockpot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 1094mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g